Project: Black/Purple striped ladies socks (no pattern)
Yarn: leftover Coats & Clark Red Heart Super Saver 4 ply 7oz Black & Coats & Clark Red Heart Super Saver 4 ply 7oz Lavender
Tools: Size 5, 40″ Addi circular needle.
Methods: Two at once, magic loop, figure 8 cast-on, short row heel
Started: July 14th, 2009
Finished: July 19th, 2009
All done with my socks. I moved through the toes, foot, and heel pretty quickly but stumbled on the cuff. The ankle high cuff ended up taken me just as long as the entire rest of the sock did. Originally, I was going to continue up the calf with the same 2×2 striped pattern that was on the foot but with a k1, p1 ribbing. Then, Johnny gave me the idea of doing ribbing that would only show one color unless extended. Example: k1 in purple, p1 in black. I tried that on both socks for quite a few rounds. Eventually it became evident that it wasn’t going to have the correct effect nor have any elasticity to it. I told Johnny, and he said that he meant something like: knit one round in one color, purl the next round in the other color, repeat. That didn’t have the desired effect either. I then decided that I really liked the k1 purple, p1 black look even if there wasn’t much stretch to it. And since I was going to make ankle socks, the stretch wouldn’t be too big of a deal. So, I pulled out most of my experimentation and finished them up with a few rounds of knit to get the rolled look.